To really set yourself up for success on this journey, think about planning a healthy diet as a number of small, manageable steps rather than one big drastic change, otherwise you will only end up quitting after a while, telling yourself that all diets suck and give in to your old habits which were no good for you. If you approach the changes gradually and with commitment, you will be a healthy dieter before you know it.
- Use your simplifier. Those that watch The Cube will know what I am talking about. Instead of being overly concerned with counting (please god don’t) or measuring out your portion sizes, think of your diet in terms of colour,variety in your meals and freshness. This is a much better way to make easier choices to eat healthy.Focus on finding foods you love and are easy to make, and then gradually, your diet will become healthier and you will feel better.
- Keep calm and start slow. Trying to force yourself to eat healthy overnight is not realistic, just imagine how long you have been eating what you eat and to switch just like that, overnight is unrealistic. Make small steps, like adding a salad or variety of different veg to your diet at least once a day. Or switching from butter to olive oil when cooking. As your small changes become habit, you can carry on to add more healthy choices to your diet.
- Every change you make will improve your diet. No one is perfect and you do not need to completely eliminate foods. It is your choice, and I would never try to tell you what to do, I can only advise. For myself e.g I do not eat desert as I am always full and if I did have it would tend to be fruit rather than cake, but that was my choice no one forced me. All I would say when making theses changes is to try to make the right choices. You can’t kid a kidder.
- Don’t let others discourage you. Even if it’s your own mistake you live and you learn. The main thing is you are making changes and you only gain from that.
- And lastly have fun with it. Eating healthy should never be stressful or a chore, it should be nice and relaxing knowing that you are eating and feeling good.